Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Read Aloud - The Dot

One of my all time favorite books to read aloud and inspire children with is The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds.  Here is a link to Amazon to get further details or buy a copy of your own.  It is a truly wonderful book and reminds students that they can do anything they put their mind to!

I had been wanting to read this book since school started but had not found the perfect time.  Usually we have a guest speaker come in every Wednesday, but last week our speaker did not show. I knew it was the PerfecT time to do so.  Our class is finally used to each other and knows each others strengths and weaknesses.  It was time for my inspiration!!

So, we read the book and for the most part the kids loved it.  Some of them thought it was silly because it was so short.  Others loved it and wanted an art show of their own!

I decided to have them do a craft to go with and it was blown away.  I pre-made circle shapes for each student. But I told them they could fill the circle however they wanted.  Some chose to fill it with color, and others made little shapes and do-dads.  It was beautiful. Here are some samples.



I

I went ahead and laminated them (because everything dies so quickly with the humidity!) and have them placed around the room. They have added the perfect touch of pizzazz and color to our room.  The kids love pointing theirs our and showing visitors what we did!  LOVE IT!

Have you ever read this book? Do you do anything fun with it?


1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to check out this book. It looks like a good one! You've been BOOed. Drop by my blog if you want to play along.

    Hooty
    Hooty's Homeroom

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover