Here is a brief glimpse of how my bookcases looked after student use (I had already taken some books off but you get the idea)
I started by sorting my books. I made piles of biographies (I had a lot more than I realized), non-fiction, award winners, series (I knew I had a couple full series), fantasy books (my kids LOVE fantasy!), books with animal characters, and fairy tales/fables, and then piles of chapter books that I was not ready to deal with yet. And I still haven't!
I then cleaned my bookcases.... whew it was disgusting. Then, I went home! I had a rough estimate of the baskets that I could possibly need. So I went shopping. Finding large quantities of the same color basket was difficult for me, so I had to settle on less than perfect colors, but it works! I went back to school to finish sorting and organizing.
Once I got the baskets, I had to decide which colors would hold what and which books where. I had to try out some books before I decided. My green baskets were the smallest so they needed to hold chapter books only, thus I decided on series baskets for them. My white ones held the non-fiction books. And red hold fiction of all kinds! I could probably use a few more white ones and definitely more red, but I bought the entire selection of both. I guess I will have to wait until they restock... hopefully that happens soon!
Since I just wanted to get it done before school starts back on Monday, I did not care about cuteness. I can adjust and change later. I want to see how this goes first! Anyway, I decided to hand make my labels for ease of change and quickness. I cut a plain white paper into 8 pieces and wrote on each label. I then used masking tape and taped it over top of the label and the basket. Whalah! Easy free labels!
I love it! I am so pleased. Eventually it will look better but it is a start. Hopefully the kids will be on board and we can keep it looking this way! If you don't have an organized library, I strongly suggest organizing it. It makes the room look so much better and really does not have to take that much time. I would say it took me about 5 hours from start to finish. Not too bad!