Friday, June 15, 2012

New mini series: Subbing Reflections

Since I am moving to Thailand, crafts and making things for my classroom aren't much of an option; although that doesn't mean I'm not going to try a few things.  :)  So I have come up with a mini series to do instead.  It will be Monday, Wednesday, Friday for the next couple weeks, so today is a sneak peak at the schedule.  It will start Monday.

I firmly believe that reflection is important to success, especially in learning.  Without reflection we do not know what we should have done better or different.  Reflection also helps us see what we did well. I believe that as a teacher, I need to show and teach my students the value of reflection.  So that is what I am going to do the next couple of weeks.

I had the wonderful pleasure of subbing at a private K-12 school this semester.  I subbed anywhere from 1st grade aid, to elementary gym, to senior English.  Every day was an adventure.  But through these adventures I learned many things.  Things I would need to remember if I was still subbing or things I need to remember as a new teacher.  Since I need to remember these things, I figured I need to write it down, or else I will forget!  (Anyone else have the problem?)

Anyway, I know that for some this information is quite routine, but for hopefully it will help someone...and it will help me so I guess I've already accomplished my goal!!  I made this silly picture to put on here so there is some fun color and silliness.

Ok that is enough explanation.  Here is the first thing I learned that is also quite silly.  If possible, live right next door to school!! I lived 3 minutes from school.  This meant that when the school realized last minute they needed a sub, I was the first one they called because I was the closest!  Unfortunately (but fortunately for our finances), the second to last week of school hubby and I moved out of our apartment and into the in-laws,  this meant that I was now 30 minutes from school. Getting to school was much more difficult, not impossible just longer than 3 minutes!  Thankfully, I had already built up the reputation so the school was still able to request me.   Along with this, I learned very quickly that being available is your biggest asset. Teachers and secretaries like to know that their subs are available and willing to come whenever needed.  So that is my basic/quick tip for substitutes.   (I know, nothing revolutionary...but something)

Anyway, here are some other topics I learned about and how I will be prepared in my own classroom:

  • Fire and other drills
  • Extra supplies
  • Seating charts
  • Grading
  • Procedures
  • Emotions
Again, hopefully this will help someone.  But it is a time for me to reflect on the past semester and see what all I can gather from these experiences.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover