Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Newbie Questions: Writing

Do you ever feel this way??  That is me.  I have been trying to stay positive for a long time but the past couple days have gotten the best of me.  I have realized I need some help!!


Ya'll know that I am a new teacher, so often changes in units or topics scare me as it is something new I have to figure out.  Well, writing is one of those areas that I am struggling with.  The past couple weeks we have been doing expository/how-to writing.  I quite enjoy it and have gotten my class to take ownership over it as well.  It has been a fun and major growing time.  We have discussed voice and organization and word choice.  Their writing has already progressed so much since the beginning of the year.

Generally our writing time is focused on a particular type or piece of writing and the whole class stays on the same page.  I haven't been able to figure out how to do a writers workshop yet... maybe next year.  We are able to do mini lessons that discuss the six traits and different genres of writing.  For the most part I do not mind how things are moving with writing.

BUT  the next topic in writing is persuasive writing.  I am terrified for this.  I don't know where to start or what to do.  I try to stay on the same pace with my co-teacher lady and she wants 5 to 6 weeks to work on persuasive writing.  That seems like a LOT to me.  I have no idea how to fill 5 weeks with one type of writing.  For our How-tos it is taking us 2 weeks.  What on earth am I supposed to do for 5 weeks?????

Please help!!!  How do you teach writing?  How do you teach persuasive writing?? What can I do to fill the next 5 weeks?  I am at a total loss and any advice is more than welcome!  Thanks in advance for being there and helping out when needed :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover